2016 Rewind: Delta in the community
Giving back to the community has been part of Delta’s culture for more than 80 years. Each year Delta, The Delta Air Lines Foundation and its employees contribute thousands of volunteer hours and millions of dollars to a host of causes through its arts and culture, education, environment, health and wellness, and military and veteran efforts.
Whether they were building houses for Habitat for Humanity International in Mexico, constructing a playground with KaBOOM! in Nashville, donating blood to the American Red Cross in Atlanta, or educating students through Junior Achievement in New York, Delta employees were committed to giving back in 2016. As part of this commitment, the airline also promised to contribute 1 percent of its net income to charitable organizations.
Highlights from the year include:
- More than 2,400 employees volunteered with Habitat for Humanity to build homes for those in need
- Employees volunteered to help pack 1.42 million pounds of food
- Delta supported 16 Junior Achievement chapters across the world
- Employees donated 8,132 pints of blood to the American Red Cross, making Delta No.3 among corporate blood donors in the U.S.
- Employees raised around $6 million for American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Breast Cancer Research Foundation and United Way
- Delta donated more than $625,000 and employees donated 836 bikes to Marine Toys for Tots.
A video illustrates how the airline fulfilled that commitment in the communities Delta employees live and work in.