Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) bag tags are already attached to bags everywhere Delta flies, and customers are reaping the benefits. Starting today, customers will now receive live push notifications from critical points along their bag’s journey. A quick note will let a customer know when their bag is successfully loaded onto an aircraft, which carousel it will arrive at for pickup and more.
Delta is the only carrier that has implemented an RFID bag tracking solution on a global scale to further improve its already-strong reliability for checked bags. A recent study from the International Air Transport Association showed that an industry-wide global RFID solution could reduce the number of mishandled bags by up to 25 percent by 2022.
Push notifications are just the latest update for the Fly Delta app, including:
- Seamless integration of the “Today” view and boarding pass into one screen
- Dynamic updates to the electronic boarding pass - seat, gate and flight information will always be up to date
- Color of the "Today" screen to current SkyMiles Medallion status
- More visibility with the Track My Bags feature now offering “Track On Map” option to follow bag’s journey
- A faster ticket purchase experience now that the need to re-verify each leg of a trip while shopping has been eliminated
- Bug fixes and performance enhancement
NBC Nightly News shared an inside look at the customer benefits of this new technology.