Giving back to the community has been core to Delta's culture for more than 80 years. Delta is committed to being a strong partner and giving back to the communities where its employees live, work and serve, contributing one percent of its net income to charitable organizations each year. Delta, The Delta Air Lines Foundation and employees contribute thousands of volunteer hours and millions of dollars to a host of causes across the globe.
Whether building homes for Habitat for Humanity International in Chulavista, Mexico, constructing a playground with KaBOOM! in Minneapolis, educating students through Junior Achievement in New York or Africa, or donating blood to the American Red Cross in 34 locations across the U.S., Delta employees were committed to giving back in 2017.
Highlights from the year include:
- More than 2,500 employees volunteered with Habitat for Humanity to build 19 homes for those in need, bringing the total homes Delta has built to 253 in 12 countries
- Over 800 employees helped build four playgrounds with KaBOOM! this year bringing the total playgrounds Delta has built to 20 in 10 cities
- Delta supported 30 Junior Achievement chapters on four continents with job shadows and career readiness and financial literacy training
- Employees donated 9,375 pints of blood to the American Red Cross, making Delta No. 2 among corporate blood donors in the U.S.
- Contributed almost $4 million to the American Red Cross, the British Red Cross, Cruz Roja Mexicana and other disaster agencies for disaster response
- Employees raised around $6 million for American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Breast Cancer Research Foundation and United Way
- Over 1,800 Delta people walked in 15 Pride events around the world
- Delta contributed more than $700,000 and employees built over 1,000 bikes for Marine Toys for Tots
The video above illustrates how the airline fulfilled its commitment to local communities of Delta people.