LEXINGTON, Ky., Aug. 27, 2006 – Comair President Don Bornhorst provided the following updates regarding Flight 5191 in a press conference held at 2:30 p.m. today in Lexington, Ky.
- Comair Flight 5191, a 50-seat Bombardier CRJ100 operating from Lexington´s Blue Grass Airport to Atlanta, was involved in an accident at approximately 6 a.m. today near the Lexington airport. The flight was carrying 47 passengers and three crew members.
- Comair has confirmed that the following crew members were onboard Flight 5191: Captain Jeffrey Clay, 35, has been an employee of Comair since November 1999 and is based at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport; First Officer James Polehinke, 44, has been an employee of Comair since March 2002 and is based at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York; Flight Attendant Kelly Heyer, 27, has been a Comair employee since July 2004 and is based at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York. There was one survivor of the accident.
- Comair continues to contact families of those who were onboard Flight 5191 and a dedicated toll-free phone line remains available to family and friends with inquiries about this accident. The center can be reached at 1-800-801-0088.
- Employee volunteers of the Comair and Delta Care Team were dispatched to assist family members and loved ones of passengers and crew on Comair Flight 5191 shortly after it was learned that the flight had been involved in an accident. An initial group of 54 team members was dispatched from around the system to Lexington and Atlanta where the families of passengers were waiting.
- Comair is cooperating fully with all authorities who will be investigating this accident, including the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and federal, local and state law enforcement agencies. The final determination of the probable cause of the accident will ultimately by determined by the NTSB.
- Comair has confirmed the following information about the CRJ100 involved in this accident.
- Aircraft Type: 50-seat Bombardier CRJ100 regional jet (Model: CL600-2B19)
- Tail number 7472
- Registration number N431CA
- Manufactured in: January 2001
- Delivered to Comair: January 30, 2001
- Airframe Cycles (total number of landings): 12,048
- Airframe Hours (flight time): 14,536.2
- Last overnight maintenance check for aircraft: Lexington 8-26-06
Comair will continue to post updated information on the accident as it is available at Comair.com.