Delta teams proactively canceled flights throughout the weekend as the early innings of a powerful nor’easter began to impact the U.S. Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions, allowing customers to attend to their new travel bookings or make travel adjustments before arriving at the airport.
Delta issued a fare difference waiver on Wednesday for those who may be impacted – affording customers added flexibility to move their travel before or after winter weather at their origin or destination.
Given the severity of the forecast snowfall and high velocity winds in New York City and Boston, Delta will suspend operations at LaGuardia, John F. Kennedy, Newark Liberty and Boston Logan airports Saturday through Sunday morning – as airfields and ground transportation infrastructure are expected to be impacted.
Delta teams are focused on a safe and orderly restart of operations at these airports and others in the Northeast Sunday afternoon, depending on conditions. As always, Delta teams are working closely with all airport and aviation partners throughout the region.
Delta has taken the following proactive cancellation actions for both Delta Mainline and Delta Connection flights. Sunday cancellations may increase, depending on the nor’easter’s trajectory and conditions at airports and in cities:
- Friday, Jan. 28: approximately 240 cancels of 4,500 total scheduled.
- Saturday, Jan. 29: approximately 750 cancels of 3,500 total scheduled.
- Sunday, Jan. 30: approximately 300 cancels of 4,400 total scheduled.
Here are three things for customers to keep in mind if their travel is affected:
- Automatic Rebooking: If a flight is canceled, Delta will attempt to automatically rebook affected customers on the next available flight in an effort to get customers to where they’re going with as minimal of a delay as possible.
- Itinerary Updates: Delta will send updates on itinerary changes directly to a mobile device or by email. To enable this communication, please provide contact information at the time of booking or add it online via My Trips.
- Self Service: Customers are encouraged to download and use the Fly Delta app or visit delta.com to check their flight status and manage their rebooking with convenient self-service options.