MINNEAPOLIS, May 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today announced a significant upgrade of its food and beverage program at its hub at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP), part of its $2 billion investment to improve the travel experience for its customers.
At its Concourse G terminal, Delta will redefine its current offerings with 12 new local chef-driven restaurants, fresh markets, the integration of Apple iPads throughout the terminal and concierge services for frequent fliers on the go. The atmosphere at MSP will be distinct from any other airport, inspired by local flavors and Minnesota's vibrant culture.
"As part of our plan to invest in improving the customer experience both in the air and on the ground, Delta is excited to showcase some of Minnesota's finest chefs and foods to passengers from around the globe while providing our customers with superior amenities," said Bill Lentsch, Delta's senior vice president – Minnesota Operations. "We're confident that the unique concepts will reinforce our commitment to the Twin Cities and maintain the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport's status as one of the best in the country."
Delta will also introduce the OTG Media Bar™, a virtual newsstand where customers will have the option to rent an Apple iPad, loaded with the content of their choice. The devices will be available at Cibo markets conveniently located through the terminal, and customers can download publications, movies, music and apps to enjoy during their flight. Once the guest reaches their final destination, a pre-paid postage box received at time of rental is used to return the iPad.
Delta's Minneapolis-St. Paul enhancements follow similar upgrades to its facilities in New York. The airline recently enhanced its concourse and gate area at Terminals 2 and 3 at John F. Kennedy International Airport. At LaGuardia Airport, Delta redesigned its gate area to include full-serve restaurants and bars and seating equipped with Apple iPads.
Delta has selected OTG Management to lead the enhanced food and beverage program at Minneapolis-St. Paul, a selection that represents a continued partnership between the two companies.
"We are honored to have been selected for the Delta MSP experience," said Rick Blatstein, CEO, OTG Management. "For all of our years of experience working in airports and having partnered with Delta, we are applying everything we've learned to expand the boundaries and create something that is truly special for the traveler, the airport and the region."
The terminal redesign will begin with a phased approach in January 2012.
Chefs will work with local farmers and producers to use high-quality ingredients to create fresh menu offerings and a sustainable, health-conscious approach to dining. In addition, Bill Summerville, named by Minnesota Monthly as Twin Cities' Best Sommelier, will be overseeing a selection of tasteful wines and locally produced beers that appeal to both local travelers and jetsetters from around the globe. Restaurants will include:
* Mill City Tavern™. A reflection of the wealth of Midwestern farms and artisan purveyors, and inspired by Chef Lenny Russo's commitment to fresh, local ingredients. Chef Russo is a James Beard Award nominee for Best Chef.
* Mimosa. A raw bar and brasserie inspired by Provencal cuisine. Created by Chef Russell Klein, Mimosa features the flavors and textures of simple French country cooking. Chef Klein's Meritage is consistently recognized as one of the best French restaurants in Minneapolis - St. Paul since its debut.
* Minnesota Beer Hall™. Beer halls have historically been a gathering place for communities and celebration and are the inspiration for The Minnesota Beer Hall. This lively venue will offer passengers a festive gathering place to relax prior to flight. OTG has teamed with Chef Erick Harcey of Victory 44 to create this entertaining pub offering 48 beers on tap, a selection of signature cocktails, and classic food staples, including breakfast.
* Minni Bar™. An easygoing cafe offering a menu of globally inspired sandwiches. Chef Andrew Zimmern, renowned for his knowledge of world cuisine, will oversee a menu that features authentic global flavors combined with locally inspired ingredients.
* Twinburger™. A collaboration with Scott Nelson, owner of famed Matt's Bar, which is often credited with inventing the Jucy Lucy, a famous South Minneapolis cheeseburger that features cheese inside the meat patty rather than on top.
* Shoyu™. A concept of Chef Koshiki Yonemura Smith, Shoyu, is a modern Japanese menu that celebrates fresh ingredients and traditional technique. The noodles and dumpling wrappers will be made fresh daily in a glass structure that juts out onto the terminal, engaging travelers with a unique, inviting experience.
* Vero™. Delivered by Pizzeria Lola chef and owner Ann Kim, Vero features thin-crust, artisanal pizzas. The individually sized pies will be baked at nearly 700 degrees to create the perfect crunch. Kim's fresh twist on toppings will offer diners delicious combinations.
* Volante™. A modern Italian restaurant, Volante, is overseen by Chef Doug Flicker, who is renowned for being able to take three seasonal ingredients and create a true Italian experience. Chef Flicker's own Piccolo restaurant has been recognized for its outstanding cuisine throughout the Twin Cities.
Cibo Express Gourmet Food Halls
Patterned after a local farmers market, the Food Halls offer fresh produce, baked goods, premiere coffee and tea blends and classic food staples.
* Cibo Express® Gourmet Markets. These markets feature a wide assortment of freshly-prepared products and bottled beverages to provide customers with a delicious meal to enjoy prior to or during flight. The markets are also a great opportunity to celebrate local and artisan foods, including Chef Michelle Gayer, owner of the Salty Tart Bakery, who has developed a line of "black label" sandwiches that feature artisanal meats and cheeses, and neighborhood bakery Rustica, which will be providing the markets and restaurants with fresh baked bread daily.
* Custom Burger™. Custom Burger will feature a custom beef blend using regional farm-sourced meats. Chef Erick Harcey has composed burgers for the menu, which will also include veggie, turkey and fish burger options, as well as house-made milkshakes and fried pickles.
* Lucy's Asian Kitchen®. Offering a new twist on quick-casual Asian, all of the delicious rice and noodle dishes at Lucy's are wok'd to order in front of guests.
* Tagliare®. Offers classic pizza by the slice or by the pie, based throughout the day using fresh ingredients.
* World Bean®. At MSP, Minneapolis' own Dogwood Coffee Company is the premier micro-roaster and will be the purveyor of coffee for Worldbean and the restaurants. Worldbean will also feature a seasonal assortment of whole-leaf teas. Bill Waddington, owner of TeaSource will select the seasonal teas and help guide the baristas on proper brewing techniques.
Delta Air Lines serves more than 160 million customers each year, and was named by Fortune magazine as the most admired airline worldwide in its 2011 World’s Most Admired Companies airline industry list. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 346 destinations in 64 countries on six continents. Headquartered in Atlanta, Delta employs 80,000 employees worldwide and operates a mainline fleet of more than 700 aircraft. A founding member of the SkyTeam global alliance, Delta participates in the industry’s leading trans-Atlantic joint venture with Air France-KLM and Alitalia. Including its worldwide alliance partners, Delta offers customers more than 13,000 daily flights, with hubs in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-JFK, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City and Tokyo-Narita. The airline’s service includes the SkyMiles frequent flier program, a world-class loyalty program; the award-winning BusinessElite service; and more than 50 Delta Sky Clubs in airports worldwide. Delta is investing more than $2 billion through 2013 in airport facilities and global products, services and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes, check bags and review flight status at delta.com.
SOURCE Delta Air Lines
For further information: Delta Air Lines, Corporate Communications, +1-404-715-2554