Update: Feb. 3, 2022, 4:30 p.m. EST
Delta expects to cancel approximately 300 mainline and Delta Connection flights on Friday due to winter weather affecting nearly 70 cities, including its hubs in New York City and Boston. Delta people are ready to assist customers safely get to their destinations as quickly as possible through the challenges presented by weather.
Feb. 2, 2022, 4:45 p.m. EST
As another winter weather system is set to impact nearly half of the continental United States through the remainder of the week, Delta expects to cancel approximately 200 Delta mainline and Delta Connection flights a day on Wednesday and Thursday. Delta teams within the airline’s Operations and Customer Center continue to monitor and assess potential future impacts.
Delta’s in-house meteorologists are actively reviewing and sharing up-to-date weather forecasts with others in the OCC as they make decisions on proactive cancels for flights in the days ahead.
Delta currently has four weather waivers listed for customers traveling through the cities listed, allowing for itinerary changes free of charge:
- Delta extends travel waiver due to winter weather in Northeastern US & Toronto
- Delta issues travel waiver ahead of winter weather in South Central Plains, Texas
- Delta issues travel waiver ahead of winter weather in Midwest and Great Lakes region
- Delta issues travel waiver ahead of winter weather in Rocky Mountain region
While there are challenges that come with running an airline safely through a weather system spanning nearly 2,000 miles, Delta people on the front lines and behind the scenes remain steadfast to the airline’s commitment to safety and getting customers where they need to be as quickly as possible as operations recover at impacted airports.
Here are three things for customers to keep in mind if their travel is affected:
- Automatic Rebooking: If a flight is canceled, Delta will attempt to automatically rebook affected customers on the next available flight to get customers to where they’re going and minimize delays.
- Itinerary Updates: Delta will send updates on itinerary changes directly to a mobile device or by email. To enable this communication, please provide contact information at the time of booking or add it online via My Trips.
- Self Service: Customers are encouraged to download and use the Fly Delta app or visit delta.com to check their flight status and manage their rebooking with convenient self-service options.