ATLANTA, Feb. 27, 2012 — Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today announced the launch of Despegando, a new Spanish-language section of SKY magazine, the world’s most-read onboard lifestyle magazine.
The first issue of the eight-page section, which will be available in the March 1 edition of SKY, features Colombian actress Sofía Vergara. It also highlights places to discover, explores style and inspiration, offers travel advice and celebrity interviews among other features tailored to Delta’s Spanish-speaking customers.
The new publication comes as Delta continues to strengthen its presence in Latin America.
"Despegando is the latest benefit for Delta’s Spanish-speaking customers as we work to become the best U.S. carrier in Latin America," said Nicolas Ferri, vice president -- Latin America and the Caribbean. "In recent months we’ve strengthened our Latin American network, launched in-flight service improvements and we’ll have even more news in coming weeks."
The publication will profile a celebrity in each issue.
"We are proud to have Sofía Vergara featured in our first edition," Ferri said. "She is not only a Latin American star but, a true crossover celebrity in the U.S. Hispanic market."
Other features in the first issue of Despegando include:
- "1 City/5 Ways," which offers different perspectives to explore a single city, from unique culinary offerings to the region’s history and people.
- "Destinations With," where travel experts highlight their top picks for food, fun and accommodations in a variety of destinations.
- "My Favorite Street," which takes readers to the favorite street of a travel expert, mapping out the best stops along the way.
- "Five Minutes With," which features a Q&A with top business leaders.
- "Road Warrior," where some of the world’s busiest travelers offer their tips and strategies for thriving in life on the road and in the skies.
- Despegando is tailored for Latin Americans who live in or travel to and from Latin America, as well as Latin Americans living in the United States. The insert will appear monthly in the 600,000 copies of the full press run of SKY magazine, which can be found on board every Delta flight, at Sky Clubs and Delta Private Jets.
Delta Air Lines serves more than 160 million customers each year. Delta was named by Fortune magazine as the most admired airline worldwide in its 2011 World's Most Admired Companies airline industry list, and was named the “Top Tech-Friendly U.S. Airline” by PCWorld magazine for its innovation in technology. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 342 destinations in 61 countries on six continents. Headquartered in Atlanta, Delta employs 80,000 employees worldwide and operates a mainline fleet of more than 700 aircraft. A founding member of the SkyTeam global alliance, Delta participates in the industry’s leading trans-Atlantic joint venture with Air France-KLM and Alitalia. Including its worldwide alliance partners, Delta offers customers more than 13,000 daily flights, with hubs in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-JFK, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City and Tokyo-Narita. The airline’s service includes the SkyMiles frequent flier program, a world-class airline loyalty program; the award-winning BusinessElite service; and more than 50 Delta Sky Clubs in airports worldwide. Delta is investing more than $2 billion through 2013 in airport facilities and global products, services and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes, check bags and review flight status at delta.com. Likewise, the Twitter channel @DeltaAssist_ES provides real-time, on-the-go travel assistance specifically to Spanish-speaking passengers from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST.