The weather is beautiful, school is out and it’s time for vacation. With the busy summer travel season just kicking off, consider getting to the airport early and keeping these seven tips in mind:
- Don’t forget to download the Fly Delta App: The perfect summer travel companion, the Fly Delta app now automatically checks in eligible customers 24 hours prior to their scheduled departure, allows customers to track their bags, shares real-time updates throughout your journey and can even help find that pre-vacation piña colada in the airport with the wayfinding feature.
- Be aware of new TSA security procedures: Over the past year, TSA has been rolling out stronger security measures across the country. In addition to screening personal electronic devices separately, TSA officers may ask travelers to remove other items from their carry-on bags and place them in the bins, such as foods, powders and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are also encouraged to organize carry-on bags, keeping them uncluttered, to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving Pro tip: Help make the TSA security screening process easier for you and your fellow travelers. Learn how to pack that bin like a pro here. And, don’t forget to recycle that water bottle before getting to the check point!
- Zip through security lines with CLEAR: Join CLEAR — now available at 24 airports across the country — and speed through security lines with just the touch of a finger or blink of an eye. U.S.-based SkyMiles Members get exclusive pricing on CLEAR membership through Delta’s partnership with CLEAR, including complimentary memberships for U.S.-based Diamond Medallion Members. Pro tip: Delta Sky Club members with CLEAR or who are enrolled in Delta Biometrics Powered by CLEAR and hold a Delta Sky Club membership can use their fingerprints to enter any Delta Sky Club in the U.S. And, eligible SkyMiles members who are enrolled in CLEAR board their plane at DCA.
- Ready to binge on that favorite show? Delta Studio’s industry-leading in-flight entertainment collection — which includes everything from hit series like The Big Bang Theory to record-breaking films like Black Panther — not only provides the best content in the skies, but is also free for all customers on two-class aircraft. With the world’s largest in-flight entertainment-equipped fleet, customers can check out all that Delta Studio has to offer via their seatback screen or their own device by downloading the Gogo Entertainment app before flying.
- Double check the weather forecast at your starting point and destination. Along with sun and fun, summer is known for its pop-up thunderstorms. Delta has around 25 meteorologists on staff to monitor and predict weather, and the Delta team works around the clock to run an on-time operation and keep customers informed of any changes. But, it’s not just beneficial to check out the local weather for packing — it can also help as customers anticipate possible flight delays. Customers can always check flight status on delta.com or the Fly Delta App, from which they can also rebook their ticket if needed.
- Stay connected with family and friends in flight: Delta now offers free mobile messaging via iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, allowing customers to stay fully connected with those on the ground and exchange real-time messages in flight with friends and family. Customers are able to access free messaging using a smartphone through Delta's Wi-Fi portal page.
- Traveling internationally this summer? Consider signing up for Global Entry, a program that allows expedited travel back into the U.S. It lasts for five years and includes TSA Precheck. Pro tip: Download U.S. Customs and Border Protection's free Mobile Passport Control app – it allows U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors to use the app and expedite entry into the U.S.