African-American suppliers have played an important role in Delta’s success. Black History Month provides an opportunity to highlight the many efforts of its suppliers and the history of the Supplier Diversity program.
Supplier Diversity began as an initiative to provide business opportunities to black suppliers in the 1970s, and has evolved over time to now include other ethnic groups, women, veterans and members of the LGBT community.
Here’s a look at supplier diversity by the numbers:
- 40 – The number of years that Delta has been involved in supplier diversity. Delta was one of the founding members of the Georgia Minority Supplier Development Council in 1975, and remains a primary sponsor of the state’s top minority business advocacy organization.
- $350,000,000 – Delta’s annual spend with African-American suppliers. Delta’s Supplier Diversity program is growing and expanding, with African-American spend representing a significant growth opportunity.
- 20 – The years of service to Delta for one of the company’s longest-tenured African-American suppliers. A number of key suppliers – who still serve Delta today – have been providing quality goods and excellent service to Delta for 20 years.
- 20 – The number of years that Delta has had a formal Supplier Diversity program. Delta hired its first dedicated Supplier Diversity leader 20 years ago, kicking off the program that is now among the leaders in the industry.
- $1,000,000,000 – Delta’s long-term diverse spend goal. Delta is engaging on a plan to join the Billion Dollar Roundtable, an elite group of companies that spend at least $1 billion per year with certified minority- and women-owned businesses.
Delta’s African-American partners span the entire spectrum of supply chain categories, ranging from advertising and transportation to maintenance and food services, supporting divisions across the company.
These industry-leading firms build terminals and facilities for Delta, install, operate and maintain mission-critical systems and technologies, supply logistical support that keeps the airline flying, and prepare delicious treats served to passengers all over the world. They are intricately involved in every aspect of Delta’s service.