10 years ago, the world was introduced to a new social media platform that let users share opinions, exchange gossip and hash out arguments… in 140 characters or less. Today, Twitter is ubiquitous, acting as a soapbox for activists, celebrities, politicians and even your next-door neighbor.In this month’s Sky magazine, Twitter’s new executive chairman, Omid Kordestani, talked about what’s next for the world’s most democratic social media platform. “What we’re really focused on for the next 10 years is continuing this momentum and really making the service easier and more engaging and rewarding for everyone,” he said. “To do that, Twitter is taking a few big steps to reshape itself.”
Those changes include “Moments,” which provides an instant snapshot of the best stories unfolding on Twitter, a new animated GIF search and finding a way to better incorporate Periscope, the company’s separate live-streaming video platform.
Delta also recently announced changes to its own Twitter platform. This month, Delta is integrating @DeltaAssist real-time customer support into its primary @Delta Twitter handle to offer customers a seamless experience when communicating with the airline’s team of more than 40 social media specialists. And last month, Delta became one of the earliest business adopters of Twitter’s new direct message button within a tweet, something that’s essential for communicating private customer information.
5 other things to know about Delta this month, from Sky:
- This month, Delta employees will be partnering with KaBOOM! To build a playground in Los Angeles for kids in need. This will mark the 10th Delta KaBOOM! playground built across the country since 2013.
- Delta is a presenting sponsor of the GLAAD LA Media Awards, recognizing and honoring the media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representation of the LGBT community and the issues that affect their lives.
- With baseball season underway, we are proud to be the Official Airline of the Atlanta Braves, New York Mets, Washington, D.C., Nationals, Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twins and New York Yankees. Best of luck to our teams!
- Travel Pulse named Delta’s craft beer program “highly rated” based on Beer Advocate scores for our craft beers, which include Sam Adams nationally and six craft beers regionally, including Blue Point, Lagunitas and more.
- In honor of Earth Day, April 22, Delta will match all contributions to the carbon offsets program in April – up to $25,000. Go to delta.com/co2 to calculate the CO2 emissions associated with your trip and donate to The Nature Conservancy.