Year in Rewind: How Delta people donated time and money in support of global causes
Giving back to the community has been core to Delta's culture for more than 85 years. Delta is committed to being a strong partner and giving back to the communities where its employees live, work and serve, contributing 1 percent of its net income to charitable organizations each year. Delta, The Delta Air Lines Foundation and its employees contribute thousands of volunteer hours and millions of dollars to a host of causes across the globe spanning three main pillars of community support:
- Advancing Education
- Supporting Global Health and Wellness
- Saluting our Armed Service Members and Veterans
Whether building homes for Habitat for Humanity, donating blood at an American Red Cross blood drive, constructing playgrounds with KaBOOM!, building bikes for Marine Toys for Tots or hosting students through Junior Achievement, Delta employees were committed to giving back to the community in 2018.
2018 By the Numbers
- Employees donated 11,085 pints of blood to the American Red Cross, making Delta the No.1 corporate blood donor in the U.S.
- More than 2,000 employees volunteered with Habitat for Humanity to build 11 homes for those in need — including six homes in China — bringing the total homes Delta has built with Habitat to 264 in 12 countries.
- Over 800 Delta volunteers helped build 6 playgrounds with KaBOOM! this year, bringing the total playgrounds Delta has built to 26 in 13 cities.
- Delta supports 31 Junior Achievement chapters on 4 continents with career readiness/financial literacy training and job shadows.
- 250 Delta employees serve as Reading Buddies and tutors at 2 Atlanta Public Schools helping to teach kids to read and improve literacy scores.
- Over 100,000 smoke alarms were installed in homes across the U.S., thanks to Delta's support of the American Red Cross Sound the Alarm. Save a Life program. Delta employees volunteered in 10 cities.
- Delta contributed $735,000 and employees built 1,012 bikes for Marine Toys for Tots.
- Thousands of Delta people walked in 10 Pride events around the world.
- Delta supports 14 USO chapters and 3 airport military centers to provide a place for active duty and veterans to rest and relax while traveling.
- Employees raised $5.9 million for the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Breast Cancer Research Foundation and United Way.
Delta News Hub