Delta SkyMiles Medallion Members will be able to enjoy their Status through Jan. 31, 2023, in addition to other extensions designed to give the airline’s most loyal customers more flexibility as travel resumes.
The news was shared by Delta CEO Ed Bastian in a letter to SkyMiles Members Tuesday, which also outlined actions, resources and policies the airline is putting in place to address challenges customers have been facing as they return to travel. Those measures include giving those booked in Basic Economy the ability to make changes to their flights for travel occurring through Dec. 31, 2021, to help reduce calls to Reservations. Later this week, those customers will be able to manage their trips on delta.com and via the Fly Delta app.
Medallion Members who are currently earning Status by traveling in 2021 will receive elevated benefits for the 2022 Medallion Year. The global carrier is also extending the ability for Award Travel on Delta to count toward Status through Dec. 31, 2022. And all SkyMiles Members will continue to earn at an accelerated rate on most tickets through Dec. 31, 2021.
“After an unprecedented year, we are thrilled to see so many of our loyal Members back in the skies and reuniting with loved ones,” said Dwight James, S.V.P. of Customer Engagement & Loyalty and CEO of Delta Vacations. “However, we know traveling looks different than it did before the pandemic. No matter what your situation has been throughout the past year, we want to do all we can to make your return to travel seamless and rewarding, with the assurance that Delta is listening and responding to take care of you every step of the way.”
The following updates will happen automatically, with no action needed from customers.
- Medallion Status for 2021 will be automatically extended for the 2022 Medallion Year.
- All Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) will roll over to 2022 to qualify for 2023 Medallion Status – for the second year in a row.
- All Members will continue to earn toward Status on Award Travel through Dec. 31, 2022 – extended an extra year.
- All Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates will be extended for travel through Jan. 31, 2023.
- Members who earn Status in 2021 will receive additional benefits, as a special thank-you for their continued flight activity: Starting Feb. 1, 2022, those who earned 2022 Status will clear for Complimentary Upgrades ahead of those at the same tier level whose Status was automatically extended, and Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members who have earned Status will be able to select Choice Benefits.
- All current Delta 360 Members will be able to enjoy their exclusive Membership in our annual, invite-only program for an additional year through Jan. 31, 2023. All Delta 360 Members will be able to select Diamond Choice Benefits.
Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members:
Delta and Amex are also extending the following Card benefits through Jan. 31, 2023, giving customers additional time and flexibility to enjoy their flight benefits. These extensions will happen automatically over the coming weeks, with no action needed from customers.
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Members who earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit between Jan. 1, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2021, will have the expiration date extended to Jan. 31, 2023.
- Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Reserve Card Members with unused Companion Certificates as of July 31, 2021, or Companion Certificates issued between Aug. 1, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2021, will have the expiration date extended to book and fly by Jan. 31, 2023.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members with Delta Sky Club One-Time Guest Passes issued between Jan. 1, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2021, will have the expiration dates extended to Jan. 31, 2023.
Delta continues to give customers even more ways to reclaim the joy of travel, all underpinned by our science-backed health and safety efforts. Learn more about what the airline is doing to make it easy to plan upcoming travel, manage entry restrictions and earn Medallion Status.